Red button alert




Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Public Works Department maintains the City’s storm drain system, all public irrigation systems, the street light system, all traffic signals, and all street monuments. To report an observed problem with any of this infrastructure, please call (510) 578-4589 or send an email to

All other utility systems are maintained by either local service districts or utility companies, with oversight by the City’s Engineering Division through issuance of an Encroachment Permit for all work that takes place within the public right-of-way or any adjoining easement areas.

A summary of the utilities in Newark is provided below. If you see an emergency situation involving any utilities, call 9-1-1.

Water Supply

The Alameda County Water District (ACWD) provides water for the cities of Newark, Fremont, and Union City, along with parts of Hayward. ACWD is responsible for the entire water supply system up to the water service meter. The property owner is responsible for all maintenance and repairs of the water service lines from the meter up to (and inside) the building. Visit the Building Inspection page for related plumbing permit requirements.

To report any water supply system problems, including main breaks, leaks, running water in the street etc., contact ACWD at (510) 668-6500. For other customer service questions, call (510) 668-4299, or visit ACWD’s website at

Sanitary Sewer

The Union Sanitary District (USD) provides sanitary sewer services for the cities of Newark, Fremont, and Union City. USD is responsible for the maintenance and repair of all sanitary sewer main lines in the street, but each lateral line from the main to an individual property is the property owner’s responsibility to maintain. USD does require a permit and will perform inspections for all sewer lateral installations or alterations to within 2 feet of the building.

To report a problem with the sanitary sewer system or for other customer service inquiries, contact USD at (510) 477-7500, or visit their website at

Gas and Electrical Power

The Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) provides gas and electrical services in Newark and is responsible for all related infrastructure up to the service meters, other than the streetlight and traffic signal systems. See the City of Newark Building Inspection page for permit requirements related to gas and electrical modifications.

If you smell natural gas, see downed power lines, or suspect another emergency situation involving gas or electrical facilities, leave the area immediately, call 9-1-1, and then notify PG&E at 1-800-743-5000. Non-emergency gas or power outages can be reported to PG&E at 1-800-743-5002 or on PG&E’s website at