In accordance with the City license and taxation ordinance, any person conducting business, including Internet based businesses, within the City of Newark is required to have a business license on file. This ordinance also applies to those businesses advertising a Newark address as their physical location and/or using a Newark address for business mailing purposes.
- Business licenses are issued based upon the calendar year and expire on December 31st.
- It is the business owner’s responsibility to renew the business license annually.
- It is the responsibility of the business owner to notify the city of any changes to the business
- Business Licenses are not transferable
- As a courtesy, Business licenses are sent a renewal each year.
- The renewal must either be paid or postmarked by January 31st the following year.
- As of February 1st, Business Licenses will be assessed a penalty if delinquent.
Business licenses are placed into the following categories:
- Commercial Business (e.g. Retail Business)
- Home Based Business
- Out of Town Business (e.g. Construction Contractors)
- Specialized Businesses needing Police Approval (e.g. Events/Parties)
- Business License Application (PDF)
- Business License Fee Schedule (PDF)
- New Business License Listing July 1, 2018 - Sept 30, 2018
- New Business License Listing October - December 2018
- New Business License Listing January - March 2019
- New Business License Listing April - June 1, 2019
- New Business License Listing July 1, 2019 - Sept 30, 2019
- Complete Annual Business License Listing as of July 1, 2018
- Complete Annual Business License Listing as of July 1, 2019
Submit Business License application to:
City of Newark
37101 Newark Blvd.
Newark, CA 94560
fax at (510) 578-4358
For questions, call: Cashier/Business License (510) 578-4310
Please allow approximately 10 Business Days for review and approval of your application. Incomplete applications will delay the approval process of your application.