In accordance with the City license and taxation ordinance, any person conducting business, including Internet based businesses, within the City of Newark is required to have a business license on file. This ordinance also applies to those businesses advertising a Newark address as their physical location and/or using a Newark address for business mailing purposes.
- Business licenses are issued based upon the calendar year and expire on December 31st.
- It is the business owner’s responsibility to renew the business license annually.
- In order to avoid a penalty, the business license must either be paid or postmarked by the last business day of January.
- Business licenses will be assessed a penalty if delinquent.
- It is the responsibility of the business owner to notify the City of any changes to the business.
- Business licenses are not transferable.
Business licenses are placed into the following categories:
Commercial Business (e.g. Retail Business)
Out of Town Business (e.g. Construction Contractors)
Specialized Businesses needing Police Approval (e.g. Events/ Partys)