Mike was born in Castro Valley, California and graduated from Moreau High School in Hayward in 1974. He attended the University of Portland and earned Bachelor of Art Degrees in Political Science and Interdisciplinary Studies.
Mike met Kathleen Ruprecht while in College, and they were married in 1978. They have lived in Newark since 1983. Mike and Kathie have seven children: David and his wife Kelly, Matthew, James and his wife Theresa, Daniel and his wife Drew, Mary and her husband Adam, Kevin, and Margaret (Maggie) and her husband Brian. Our children all attended St. Edward Catholic School and Moreau Catholic High School.
Mike and Kathie are the proud grandparents of Aiden, Kaleb, Ellie Blue, Owen, Evelyn (Eve), Pete, George Edward, June Frances, and Walter.
Government/Public Service Experience
Mike worked for the City of San Jose for almost 27 years retiring in December 2011.
From 2001-2011, he was a Deputy Director in the Planning, Building and Code Enforcement Department. More specifically, he was the Code Enforcement Official for the City of San Jose. He managed a staff of approximately 100 and an annual budget of 10 million.
In 2013, Mayor Al Nagy appointed Mike to the Planning Commission, and was appointed Vice-Chairman of the Planning Commission in 2014.
Mike will represent the City of Newark on the following Council Assignments:
- Alameda-Contra Costa County Transit Policy Advisory Committee
- Alameda County Waste Management Authority Board/Stopwaste.org (Delegate)
- Stop Waste Board, past president 2017-2018
- Newark City Council-Newark Board of Education Liaison Committee
- Community Choice Aggregation Steering Committee
- Tri-City Waste Facility Financing Authority
- Alameda County Housing Authority, Board Chair 2019-2020
- 2018 Vice Mayor
- Life Elder Care-Meals on Wheels Driver
- Newark Rotary, past president 2016-2017
- St. Edward’s Men’s Club
- Member of Graffiti Abatement Team